PhD Cognitive Science & Artificial Intelligence
Research in the field of social embodiment and voice illusions, making use of virtual reality techniques.
Teaching VR, HCI, programming and education
Lecturer in virtual and augmented reality, human-computer interaction, and introduction to programming (Python). Teacher of the ‘Start to Teach’ and ‘Start to Supervise’ workshops for junior lecturers.
Creative Coding Amsterdam
Creative coding meetups, talks, hackathons and coding jams. Coding and hardware workshops for adults.
Creative Coding Tilburg & Code Brabant
Creative coding meetups, talks, hackathons and coding jams. Coding and hardware workshops for adults. Additionally CoderDojo’s – open evenings where everyone between 7 and 17 can learn how to program for free. Coding and hardware workshops for children, teens and teachers.
Introduction to programming, Scratch, Processing, Arduino, P5.js.
Public speaking, improvisational theater.
On virtual and augmented reality techniques, research and art.
On social embodiment, homuncular flexibility, embodiment illusions.
On ‘hacking intimacy’ and sextech.
On creative coding, community building and diversity.
On teaching programming to children.
– Mini-hackathon on technology of the future at the Cube Design Museum
– Various tech-related workshop at Code Brabant, Creative Coding Tilburg, and Creative Coding Amsterdam
– Hardware / Arduino workshops at Hack Your Future
– Virtual Reality & 3D Pictionary at STRP scene 2
– Improvisational theater and public speaking at Particolarte
– ‘The Multisensory Self’ at Raspberry Dream Labs, London, UK
– ‘Post-modern Design & Human Complexity’ at Mälardalens högskola, Västerås, Sweden
– Virtual reality panel at NODE, Frankfurt, Germany
– ‘Hacking Intimacy’ at Robot Love, Eindhoven
– ‘Homuncular Flexibility’ at Creative Coding Utrecht
– ‘Who’s afraid of VR’ at Who’s afraid of Art festival, Tilburg University
– ‘Creative Coding’ at Digivita Creative Code Event
– ‘The body as a game-controller’ at Incubate Arcade
– ‘Virtual reality and embodiment’ at Playful Arts Festival
– ‘The placebo-effect in VR health care’ at Virtual Reality for Science and Education Symposium
– Demo of prototype ‘The Vocal Range of Movies: Sonifying Gender Representation in Film’ at ICEC 2015
– Presentation of paper ‘The Influence of Subliminal Visual Primes on Player Affect in a Horror Computer Game’ at ACII 2015
– Presentation of paper ‘The Placebo effect in Virtual Reality’ at the graduation presentation at Leiden University
– ‘Inducing lucid dreams’ at Hack the Brain award ceremony at ‘Do It Together Bio #12: Opening up the Brain’ by Waag Society
– ‘Inducing lucid dreams’ (Hack the Brain project) at ‘Read and Hack Your Brain – Neurotech‘ by Singularity University
Past exhibitions / performances
– The Installation ‘Change Course’ at Semester Project Exhibition ‘INTEGRITY’
– ‘Paracusia’, a game based on auditory hallucinations, at Boulevard Festival
– ‘Paracusia’, a game based on auditory hallucinations, at Playful Arts Festival
– ‘I Wish I Were a Woman’, an artwork about gender and technology, at Open Lab Expo
– Facial substitution demo at Particolarte
– ‘Anna’, a play about a young girl and her dark dreamworld, Particolarte